Collection tools for bail debts will be improved as well
This week, the Ontario government has implemented new measures to plug holes in its bail system, including security deposit requirements and mandates for sureties.
One measure requires a cash security deposit in the full amount pledged to be paid on the release of an accused party from custody. Payment must be made within two business days of the release. The measure creates instant financial consequences when courts order forfeiture of bail money due to violations of bail conditions or an accused party’s absence at court; thus, Ontario can more easily recover bail debts.
Sureties, defined as people who have agreed to ensure an accused person complies with bail condition, must also disclose updated contact and identification information to enable the provincial government to collect forfeited bail money in lieu of a recorded security deposit. A surety who violates this requirement could be hit with a provincial offence charge.
The provincial government has developed a surety database to streamline and improve surety checks. Moreover, bail debt collection tools like wage and bank account garnishment, property liens, and the seizure and sale of property will be improved to facilitate the enforcement of court-ordered bail obligations as well.
The new measures took effect on Monday August 17. They were introduced in the Keeping Criminals Behind Bars Act, 2026, and the Protect Ontario Through Safer Streets and Stronger Communities Act, 2025.
“Bail conditions are not suggestions, they are court orders, and there must be real consequences when they are broken,” said Michael Kerzner, Ontario’s solicitor general, in a statement. “Our government is strengthening enforcement to hold offenders accountable, giving police and prosecutors stronger tools to protect our communities, and helping keep violent and repeat offenders behind bars where they belong.”
In the past three years, over 5,300 serious violent cases have been managed at the bail stage by the province’s bail prosecution teams, which comprise dedicated Crown attorneys and business professionals who are experts in preparing best possible cases in such bail matters.
“These enhancements to Ontario's bail system are welcome and reflect a continued commitment to improving public safety, strengthening accountability, and reducing the risks posed by repeat violent offenders,” said Thomas Carrique, Ontario’s provincial police commissioner. “As police officers, we have consistently seen the impact that non-compliance with bail conditions and repeat offending has on victims, communities, and frontline officers. Strengthening bail compliance and accountability, while providing additional measures to address repeat violent crime, contributes to safer communities across the province.”
Last year, the provincial government also rolled out a Provincial Bail Compliance Dashboard that enabled police to track, collate, and disclose information on individuals on bail for firearms-related offences.