Skip to content

Monday, February 20, 2017

YORK UNIVERSITY HONOURS CAROL HANSELL

The Jay and Barbara Hennick Centre for Business and Law at York University has given Toronto lawyer Carol Hansell its 2016 Hennick Medal for Career Achievement.

The award is given to leaders in the business and legal communities who have gained international recognition for their work. Hansell graduated from York University with an LLB/MBA in 1986 and is now regarded as one of the country’s most influential advisers in corporate governance.

She worked at Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg LLP for 20 years, before leaving to start her own firm, Hansell LLP. She is also a principal Hansell McLaughlin Advisory Inc.

Hansell has served on the boards of many organizations in different sectors, including the boards of the Bank of Canada and the Ontario Registered Pension Plan Administration Corporation.

“Carol Hansell is a role model for our students,” said Edward Waitzer, the director of the Hennick Centre.

“She is a pioneer in governance education and thought leadership, grounded in practical experience. In a career spanning more than 25 years, she has done so much – from leading transactions to advising boards, management teams, institutional shareholders and regulators in connection with legal and governance challenges to shaping public policy. She has also given back to the community, as a board member, mentor and force of nature.”

Hansell’s practice focuses on helping institutional shareholders and regulators with legal and governance challenges, as well as advising boards and management teams.

Last year, Hansell was appointed to be chairwoman of Ontario’s Business Law Advisory Council, which advises the provincial government on business law matters. The centre gave the award to Hansell at a reception in Toronto on Feb. 8.

LAW FOUNDATION OPENS GUTHRIE AWARD NOMINATIONS

The Law Foundation of Ontario has opened nominations for its Guthrie Award.

The award was created in 1996 to honour Hugh Guthrie, a foundation trustee and chairman of the foundation’s board. It recognizes individuals for their contributions to the cause of access to justice.

Nominees should have a proven track record on the issue, and can come from any part of the justice system. Past winners have included members of the judiciary, the private bar, non-profit organizations and legal clinics.

Nominations must include a letter of nomination and at least two other letters of support. They will be accepted until April 17.

For more information, visit www.lawfoundation.on.ca.

MILLER THOMSON WELCOMES NEW PARTNERS

Lawrence Wilder and Tom Koutoulakis have joined Miller Thomson LLP’s Toronto business law group.

The two lawyers, who were formerly employed by Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, have joined the firm as partners.

The firm’s Toronto business law group has seen 10 new partners join the firm over the last year. The two newest additions are part of a larger commitment to “deepening the bench strength” of the firm’s corporate mergers and acquisitions and securities law groups in Toronto, said Peter Auvinen, managing partner at Miller Thomson’s Toronto office.

“We see it as an ongoing priority objective, and having Lawrence and Tom join us will further propel our growth and expertise in the area,” he said.

LAW TIMES POLL

Law Times recently reported that a judge stopped the Kenora Crown attorney’s office from prosecuting a case, after the defendant’s lawyer took a job as a Crown days before his trial was set to start.

Readers were asked if they agree with this decision.

Roughly 70.5 per cent said they agree with this judge’s decision and think it is prudent. The remaining 29.5 per cent said they do not agree with this decision and the judge is being overly cautious.

cover image

DIGITAL EDITION

Subscribers get early and easy access to Law Times.

Law Times Poll


The Law Society of Upper Canada’s governing body has approved a proposal to create a new licence for paralegals that would train them in some aspects of family law such as form completion, uncontested divorces and motions to change. Do you agree with this move?
RESULTS ❯