Four lawyers joined Norton Rose Canada LLP as partners in Toronto and Ottawa this month.
David McIntyre, a business lawyer with an international practice focused on the mining and natural resource sectors, has joined the firm’s Toronto office.
In his new role, he’ll have an active role in the firm’s activities in China. McIntyre previously worked as deputy general counsel and vice president of marketing at Vale, a large mining company.
Joining him in Toronto is Robert Mason, who will also become a partner. Mason represents issuers and underwriters on corporate finance transactions and mergers-and-acquisition mandates with an emphasis on the mining and natural resource sector.
In addition, Janet Howard, a lawyer with a focus on public and private merger-and-acquisition and corporate finance transactions in the mining and natural resource sectors, becomes a partner in Toronto along with Janet Lee, who specializes in a broad range of corporate and commercial work.
Lastly, Yufei Luo joins the firm’s Ottawa office. She focuses on representing Chinese clients investing in Canada’s resources sector.
“This is a top-flight group that is joining Norton Rose Canada,” said firm managing partner John Coleman. “They will bring significant depth to our mining and Asia practices and be an excellent fit in our Canadian and global platform.
The mining sector and Asian markets are key areas of growth in Canada and globally, and our new members are highly seasoned and experienced in both.”
INQUIRY JUDGE ANNOUNCED
The Ministry of the Attorney General has announced Justice Paul Bélanger will lead a public inquiry into the deadly collapse of the Algo Centre Mall in Elliot Lake, Ont.
The mall’s roof collapsed, killing two women and trapping several others, on June 23. Rescue workers had been unable to enter the mall due to the structure’s unstable condition for several days, prompting outrage among residents.
“In leading the inquiry, Justice Bélanger will be asked to look into and report on events surrounding the collapse of the Algo Centre Mall and review the emergency management and response,” said Attorney General John Gerretsen. “He will report back publicly within a year of beginning the inquiry.”
Bélanger currently sits as a per diem judge and was a regional senior judge with the Ontario Court of Justice from 1996 to 2002.
The Ontario Provincial Police have also launched a criminal probe into the mall’s collapse.
FORT FRANCES COURTHOUSE REOPENS
The courthouse in Fort Frances, Ont., has been reopened to the public following flooding in sections of its basement last month.
On July 9, all scheduled court hearings and full customer service resumed. However, certain sections of the basement will remain closed due to damage caused by the flooding, according to the Ministry of the Attorney General. In the meantime, the court will reschedule hearings to other sections of the courthouse.
OTLA LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN AGAINST INSURANCE CHANGES
The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association is launching a campaign in co-operation with other groups warning about Ontario government plans to slash coverage for catastrophic injuries as part of new cuts to auto insurance benefits.
According to the association, accident victims with a catastrophic injury are currently eligible for medical and rehabilitation benefits of up to $1 million. But the changes the association believes are imminent would mean those denied under the new rules would only receive $50,000 in basic benefits.
“We estimate that the number of cases deemed catastrophic will be reduced by half if these changes are implemented,” said Andrew Murray, president of the association.